Hello Rick,

>the peak and mean power for the various modes listed in the

In Multipsk, you have the ratio between the average power and the peak power.
The peak power is obtained if you have no band base windowing and if you are
always transmitting one carrier at a given time (RTTY, MFSK16...). If you have
one carrier (PSK31, for example) but a windowing or many carriers at a the same
time (CMT/HELL for Video ID or MT63), you ratio is less than 1 (close to 1 for
PSK31 and close to 0 for CMT/HELL for Video ID or MT63). It means that at the
maximum, remaining linear, you cannot transmit much power: for aexample, 10
watts in MT63 for a 100 watts standard transceiver.

This supposes that the AF is a sine. The crest factor of a sine is about -3 dB
compared to a square wave (AF signal completly saturated). But there is no
reason to transmit an AF  square wave. There would not be a decoding gain
(because the power considered by the decoder would be the one of the
fondamental which would be -3 dB compared to the total power) and the signal
would be found on all the AF spectrum (fondamental and harmonics).

So the ratio to be considered is the one considered by Multipsk (taking into
account that the figures are not very precise, but sufficient for comparizons).

73
Patrick