Hi Rick,

I just had to take a break from the .NET C++ compiler to reply to
this one, day job work and other demands have slow my responses the
past few days, although I will try to reply some of the other
messages flying about if I can make the time................

At 12:40 PM 8/26/2006, you wrote:
>Running a laptop under emergency conditions is not that practical other
>than for short duration events. If you want to have ALE available you
>need to keep the software running or else the ALE selcal would be
>missed. For regular communications with AC power, then no problem.

I have just have to ask, have not storage cells, solar panels and
generators made it to your neck of the woods? What class do you
participate in during ARRL FD ?

I can run my FT-817/AT200PC 1Ghz laptop MARS-ALE station off my
Hawker Energy 37Ah battery all weekend long even if the sun shine is
poor. Then for 100 watt station operation I can add more batteries or
fire up the Honda gas generator.

>  The
>ALE antenna issue is a major one for either portable or fixed though.

How's that?

I have a NVIS antenna that above that range starts to look like a
random wire with gain that is a 125 foot dipole make of brightly
jacketed 14ga. wire (could be lesser gauge) that mounted 6 feet above
ground, easy to  do just about anywhere, easy to make very visible.
 From the center of that 125 foot dipole span is 28 feet for 300 ohm
twin led that raises to 10 feet above ground at which point is hung a
CWS ByteMark 6:1 balum with a heavy earth ground and from there 50
ohm coax to the transceiver, over the soil in my backyard this
antenna mounted as described is resonant at 3.2Mhz, the LDG AT200PC
tunes it from 2Mhz (and lower) to 27Mhz (and higher) with ease for my
MARS channels in use. It is basically a full 160-6m antenna with an
HF-6m radio like my FT-817 and FT-847 and the AT200PC ATU. This
antenna rolls up nicely and fits in a back backpack, if you are lucky
enough to just suspend it from trees etc in your target surrounds
then poles are not even needed, just dacron rope, although I have
various push up and intersecting poles for use as needed. There are
even screw together ground rods these days, although I just lug an 8
footer about.

>We agree that it was not a good long term move to only allow the entry
>level license access to VHF and up. I favor allowing CW and limited
>(very limited) additional HF modes on a few bands. Especially bands that
>are nearly unused most of the time. On the other hand, there are hams
>such as my wife who have little interest in HF DXing or anything like
>that. She has recently expressed a slight interest in HF for mobile use
>due to our limited distances covered by repeaters, but only for
>practical  use.
>
>Having said that, with all the new rigs that have six meters and often
>even higher VHF/UHF bands, it is incredibly easy to get on CW/SSB VHF
>and up. Even so, there seems to be less interest today than there was
>many years ago when it was much harder to get on these bands with other
>than AM or FM rigs. Especially when you consider the number of hams who
>can get on these frequencies and modes. The VHF and higher frequency
>bands have a wealth of potential experimentation, long distance/weak
>signal, EME, meteor scatter, high speed linking, etc. But there just is
>not an interest by most hams. For example, I have suggested that I can
>be QRV 160 through 6 meters on most all sound card modes. But almost no
>takers in my area.

6 meters, I love that band, first rig was a 10/6m Kachina 1 in 1979
followed by and FT-680R, still have both, then the FT-736R in the
early 90's, added FT-650,  FT-847 and FT-817. Sitting at 67
countries, all states by Hawaii, if only I was retired during the
last 25 years and around the station more, it was not until the last
cycle that I bumped up the power to 100w on 6m. I my go to higher
power for the next cycle, I have an SSB 200 sitting here for 100w
driver conversion and a National NCL-2000 for 10w (most 6m rigs were
10w drive) driver conversion, time will tell, I prefer the challenge
of lower power, though I do have full legal limit when needed, in
chasing DX its always my goal to use lower power but some times the
conditions and QRM just don't allow it, I even though about the idea
of my big Collins on 6 meters, it would not be too terribly difficult
to add support for 50Mhz, the tubes at all three stages (6LC6, 6146
x2, 4CX1000A x2) will work at 50Mhz.

>In terms of HF e-mail, there is not really enough spectrum space to
>handle much traffic.

I don't agree at all, but just don't have the time at the moment to
hash it over, I will revisit this with you soon.

>  Especially with the intrusive wide band modes that
>take up an entire voice bandwidth. The good news is that PSKmail is a
>good start to do exactly what you want. In fact, it is really the only
>decentralized e-mail currently available for the amateur bands. For
>casual use, Winlink 2000 can work well although it would be risky to
>rely on it for emergency use due to its reliance on the internet to
>function.
>
>  PSKmail's PSK63 signals are spectrum efficient when compared to Pactor
>2 and especially Pactor 3. And over time it is not unreasonable to
>expect that PSKmail will improve.
>
>I quite disagree with you on the ham Katrina response. Having ALE would
>have made no difference at all in our response. The fact is that hams
>generally were the ones following the rules and moved out of the
>affected area. Obviously, once they did that, they were no longer
>available to operate from those affected areas and it was not safe to be
>sending in untrained individuals to such wide spread disaster areas.
>Only the military and trained personnel should be going into such areas
>until things are secure enough for untrained. If a ham was trained in
>some specialty for disasters, they would be used for that capacity, not
>communications. Either way, ALE would not be involved since nets are set
>up in advance on known frequencies of operation.

ALE was heavily used in Katrina by the USCG, National Guard etc. and
those MARS members and ARES stations that went to the scene. Katrina
was a natural disaster in the making for the specific geographic area
long before that specific storm that was given that name arrived, the
magnitude of that particular storm brought with it a wake up call to
all Local, State and Federal Agencies as well as the Military
regarding the planning for disaster response and the need for
reliable HF 24/7 radio-to-radio communications within a NVIS coverage
area and then long haul HF out of the disaster region of interest as
all other forms of electronic communications within the disaster area
can be seriously impaired for some time to come along with other
aspects of the infrastructure, so you had better believe that ALE
played a huge part in that particular even and will continue to play
a big part in future ECOM at all levels, if you don't yet, you will
as the facts do and will speak for themselves.

>VHF voice is THE main communications medium for disasters.

Within Simplex line of sight and portable repeater range when it hits
the fan. I can drive my Bronco up the highest hill around and setup
and first up a portable Motorola R-100 repeater system as needed,
should say a Tornado devastate good area of the county that I live
and all the repeater station antenna are down and power is out etc,
the local ARES/RACES group which my club has MOU would be back on the
air with a repeater as soon as I have the R-100 power on, for the UHF
R-100 the little 6 foot Station Master is such a compact 24w repeater
station that it and a short run of cable and some Hawker batteries
can become an active repeater station from any high building, water
tank or whatever in no time and be very effective, the VHF Station
Master is more effort, but a lesser antenna can be used for speed in
returning to the airwaves. I can reprogram the R-100's quickly and I
keep a few mobile UHF duplexers tuned to a number of local repeater
pairs for such a need. I only keep one WACOM VHF duplexer tuned as a
spare, but we could likely get to the normal repeater stations
duplexer and move it after the disaster as needed, UHF is so much
more portable etc.,

>  Most of the
>communications are going to be tactical and immediate and if you have
>had the ARRL ARECC training, you know that it is inappropriate to ever
>use any keyboard entered messaging for such messages as there is too
>much risk in terms of immediacy. You will occasionally find long
>messaging needed for support purposes, health and welfare, etc. so it
>has a place, but it is very low in terms of priorities.

This is an open debate topic if there ever was one!  Its pretty much
now SOP from my perspective of all that I am involved with that as
soon as you have traffic that approaches 1/2 sheet of 9 1/2 by 11
paper you are looking for errors to introduced into the message
content and delay in processing if it is not send via digital
communications means.

As to ARRL ARECC I have been able to allocate time to achieve level
II certification.

>My wife and I have actually been up all night providing communications
>support for one of the Wisconsin Adventure Races. This event is an
>intense activity including lengthy hiking through extremely difficult
>terrain, accessing numerous targets (and proving you were there),
>switching to canoe or kayak and negotiating over a very tricky river,
>switching to bicycle and riding about 5 hours round trip to another
>distant site to climb and then rappel down a 170 foot cliff and return
>to the starting point.
>
>We primarily used VHF voice with some use of Winlink 2000 via VHF Telpac
>and some simplex, but mostly repeater access. We could have done it
>different ways. While HF would be nice, there was only a couple of
>operators who even have the license to operate HF, much less have any
>interest in HF operations of this type. I wish there was more interest,
>but it just is not there with most hams.

Having the proper mix of resources to include the license class of
the Amateur involved are issues WRT ARS ECOM, you can take advantage
of HF if you only have a No Code Tech license.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH