--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hajducek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>snip<

> >The ALE antenna issue is a major one for either portable or fixed
though.

How's that?

I have a NVIS antenna that above that range starts to look like a
random wire with gain that is a 125 foot dipole make of brightly
jacketed 14ga. wire (could be lesser gauge) that mounted 6 feet above
ground, easy to  do just about anywhere, easy to make very visible.
>From the center of that 125 foot dipole span is 28 feet for 300 ohm
twin led that raises to 10 feet above ground at which point is hung a
CWS ByteMark 6:1 balum with a heavy earth ground and from there 50
ohm coax to the transceiver, over the soil in my backyard this
antenna mounted as described is resonant at 3.2Mhz, the LDG AT200PC
tunes it from 2Mhz (and lower) to 27Mhz (and higher) with ease for my
MARS channels in use. It is basically a full 160-6m antenna with an
HF-6m radio like my FT-817 and FT-847 and the AT200PC ATU. This
antenna rolls up nicely and fits in a back backpack, if you are lucky
enough to just suspend it from trees etc in your target surrounds
then poles are not even needed, just dacron rope, although I have
various push up and intersecting poles for use as needed. There are
even screw together ground rods these days, although I just lug an 8
footer about.

>>>The point is that you need a multi-band antenna. If the ALE scan
rate is 2-5 frequencies per second, then presumably you need an in-
board or out-board auto-tuner capable of retuning that rapidly if the
frequencies lie on different bands, correct?

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ