jhaynesatalumni writes:
 > I'm willing to believe that the timing tolerances in -tor modes
 > are so tight that ordinary PC operating systems cannot cope with
 > them the way a dedicated processor can.  What I don't understand
 > is why the tolerances need to be so tight.  The transmitter sends
 > a packet and then listens for an ACK or NAK.  Why can't it wait
 > arbitrarily long?

The ACK time could be made as long as you like, but the throughput
would suffer accordingly.

For example, with Pactor I, (according to p. 9-24 of the 2005 ARRL
Handbook), the sender sends the packet in 0.96 seconds, then
propagation delays and receipt of the ACK takes 0.29 seconds, for a
total of 1.25 seconds per packet.  If we increase the ACK delay to be
the same as the transmit time, the total time per packet would be 1.92
seconds for the same amount of data as Pactor I sends in 1.25 second,
and the throughput would be 1.25/1.96 or approximately 0.65 times what
the present protocol delivers.

Is it doable?  Yes.  Would most hams want it?  I have my doubts.

To get the same throughput with a longer ACK time, you have to make
the transmit time longer too, so it bears the same relationship to the
total time as it does now.  That means either a much longer data
packet, or a pipelined group of packets covered by a single ACK.  The
longer the packet, the greater chance that a static crash or other
event will corrupt the packet, so we're back to talking about
pipelined packets.

--
73 DE AE6VW     Chris Jewell    Gualala CA USA