Why not run 64 tones with FSK at 50 baud or 64 tones with OQPSK at 50 baud?

Shucks, for that matter how about 128 tones using QAM64 at 50 baud?

Walt/K5YFW

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:06 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Using 8FSK ARQ in PCALE (Re: ALE QRM is minimal)

As a convenience, many of the amateur radio ALE operators with PCALE
have been using the built-in 8FSK modem for texting. It uses the same
8 tones and baud rate that the main ALE part of the system uses for
calling. For keyboarding/texting, we often use the feature called DTM
(Data Text Message) with ARQ. We also sometimes use the other feature
called DBM (Data Binary Message) with ARQ for sending files, or
images. Both DBM and DTM normally run at 125 baud. It would be great
to see an amateur radio version of it developed with the same 8 tone
set that simply runs at 1/4 speed, to be used when propagation
conditions are marginal.

Bonnie KQ6XA