>If I gave you some parameters of a waveform, what would you use to base
>your measurement of baud rate?

I would look at the data, and see how it is modulated into an analog
waveform.  For FSK we know that a 1 produces one symbol, and a 0 another
symbol.  MFSK16 the symbols represent

0000
0001
0010
0011
0100
0101
0110
0111
1000
1001
1010
1011
1100
1101
1110
1111

4 bits per symbol.  For MT63 there are 64 bits per symbol.  All 64 PSK
signals combine to produce 1 waveform, just like a two tone, 3, tone or 4
tone test produce a waveform.  The complex voice signal produces a
waveform.  PACTOR III uses the same logic...Up to 18 tones are used, spaced
at 120 HZ.  I can take a picture of the MT63 waveform and put it on the
Internet if you like.

>Are you saying that the reason that packet performs so poorly is due the
>fact that it has no convolutional coding or interleaving?

Yes, I would say that it is not as well suited for HF operation as other modes.

>All along what Walt and I have pointed out was that ISI becomes
>intolerable with difficult propagation conditions (e.g., doppler, polar
>flutter, etc.) with short symbol lengths. The longest symbol length
>possible for 300 baud is 1000/baud or 1000/300 = 3.33 ms. That is a very
>short pulse for HF. That is why Pactor chose 100 baud = 10 ms minimum
>pulse length (assuming they are continuous with no gaps). That 10 ms
>length is about the right amount, particularly with some DSP enhancements.

You can overcome those issues by interleaving, convolutional encoding,
redundancy, and spreading the signal.  I would say the real reason why 100
baud may be the limiting for PACTOR III is not only the RF medium, but the
radios that are using it.  Amateur gear I am sure is not designed for low
group delay distortion.

>If the baud rate of a waveform was 2400 as Steve has often mentioned,
>wouldn't the longest possible symbol length be about 0.42 ms? If this
>really can work on HF, it is completely contrary to what I have learned
>over the past few decades, particularly when Pactor was first on the
>scene. Even with extensive DSP, can you overcome that large of an ISI
>issue?

Apparently you can, however we will never know unless we join MARS, or get
the arcane 300 baud limit lifted.

73,

Mark N5RFX