Hello Patrick,

The "problem" with PAX/PAX2 is that they do not have the full ASCII
character set and they are very slow.

The timing of Windows/Linux is not so bad that you could not have a
moderate sized window. After all the SCAMP mode showed this can be done
and it had a NAK/ACK time of 0.6 seconds or something close to that.
While not a synchronous ARQ mode, it sure acted like it when I did the
beta testing.  The feeling you got is very similar to what it was like
when we first started using Amtor:)

The success of this kind of mode seems to be the use of pipelining the
last packet and the processing being done in the background. It seem to
me that this is the best way to develop a serious ARQ sound card mode
that can work with existing computer abilities. If it also had adaptive
ability to meet the challenges of the RF conditions at the moment, you
would have a huge winner.