Mark,

When I visualize the MT-63 waveform, it seems like many little tones
turning off and on, but all running at a very low baud rate. Thus the
low baud rate for the mode even though it is a huge width of spectrum.

All these years we were told that low baud rates worked better under
poor conditions and on HF (which often has poor conditions). And that
ISI issues would cripple modes much over 100 to 200 baud. Kantronics
proprietary G-TOR mode can switch between several baud rates but I bet
it is rare that it gets up to the maximum 300 baud rate.

I can think of some very amazing things that can be done with these
higher speed modes that appear to be nearly magical compared to the
science that we were basing everything on.

The odd thing is that I am not hearing much from anyone else on this
except for the ALE buffs. Can others comment on this too. If it is only
the U.S. hams that are limited to 300 baud on HF, why is it that the NZ,
and EU, and SA hams have not developed much faster sound card modes?

The reason that Pactor 1 had a low baud rate of 100 and a high one of
200, was that their experiments (SCS) proved that 100 was about as high
as you could get away with with significant ionospheric disturbances.
During pristine times, you could move it up to 200. As Dr. Tom Rink said
in 1995 in discussing how they came up with Pactor 2:

"... signals with higher baud rates suffer from a significant loss of
immunity a-
gainst time smearing ... For these reasons, 200 baud is commonly con-
sidered to be the maximum useful symbol rate of 2-tone FSK systems,
operating
over short wave links."

also

"DQPSK with 100 baud has proven to be a very good compromise between
robustness against AWGN and time dispersion, especially if it is
combined with powerful error control coding."

Pactor 2 can switch between DBPSK (its most robust mode) to DQPSK for
more speed and 8DPSK and even 16DPSK under excellent conditions.

With Pactor 3, they basically added more tones, 18 of them compared with
the 2 carriers in Pactor 2, and uses DBPSK and DQPSK but still running
at 100 baud for each of the carriers. Thus the claim that it is 100
baud. This seems to mesh with what Walt was talking about earlier. If
you added up the carriers and multiplied it times the baud rate, you
would have 1800 baud.

I am hoping other developers and experts here on this group will help us
understand how the MIL modems can work at the much higher baud rates.

As far as joining MARS again, I will pass. I was a NavyMARS member in
college when I was around age 18 and my call was N0YUI which is now a
reissued ham call. Many years later I joined AFMARS and was AFA3QH, and
realized this organization was not for me even though I am an USAF
veteran. This was a few decades ago and their structure and mission have
changed quite a bit.

But that doesn't mean that MARS and amateur radio can not share and
collaborate when it is feasible to do so. And I strongly support that.