--- KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just so you know, that many of us don't drive
> Cadillacs or even Buicks.

Yep...I have seen many smaller imported cars on the US
streets on TV for many years.

A friend of mine still keeps his father's 1950
Buick...it is a voracious dragon with 8 cylinders in
line...

> In fact, my wife drives a used pickup truck with
> over 100,000 miles on
> it, but it is a 4 wheel drive extended cab she
> wanted for the farming
> operation. I drive a Chevrolet Cavalier, which is a
> step up from what I
> used to drive (Chevette). Many years ago my wife and
> I both drove VW
> Beetles, (hers was that dreadful jeep looking
> version called "The
> Thing"). She had a VW squareback before that. Our
> experience with VW was
> that they had lots of design problems, were
> extremely expensive to
> repair, and the purchase prices also got way too
> high to justify.

Well, here in Havana you can still see many old
beetles rolling on the streets. They have good fuel
economy ...and are not cheap either.

> I often wonder if I would go through the work of
> getting a ham license
> if I had been born in 1985 instead of 1945. Other
> than my continued
> interest in emergency communications, most
> everything else can be done
> with modern technology and computers fill in the
> rest of playing around
> with technology for a reasonable price.

Undoubtedly. It is a different world. My son doesn't
seem interested in becoming a ham. I have not pushed
him...

Nevertheless, and what I meant before, the world is
not homogeneous nor evenly developed, and what is
pocket money in one place is a fortune for others...

Sometimes I think that the youngsters nowadays may
feel like I felt when I was 12 years old and my father
gave me his old 56's, 57's, 2A3's, etc and a 1936
Handbook to play with, when I say I built something
using a few TTL chips...

> I have computer friends who keep asking me for some
> way to help them set
> up a community network that will work for messaging
> each other and also
> work even if the internet fails. They just are not
> willing to put in the
> minimal amount of effort to take one of my ham
> classes. Otherwise, they
> could use MURS for local neighbor to neighbor
> contact due to the
> allowance of large antennas and 2 watts on a
> frequency close to 2
> meters. But I don't think they can use digital for
> that. A mesh network on 2.4 perhaps?

It is what is springing up around like mushrooms...
and its bandwidth makes V90 modems look ridiculous...

And V90 modems are waaay faster than 1200 baud packet.

It is a different world...

73, Jose

> Jose Amador wrote:
>
> >I believe that remembering the 80's and 90's would
> >be good. You cannot use the same yardstick in every
> >country, there are specificities you cannot ignore.
> >
> >While in North America the hams used TNC's, in
> Germany
> >a group of hams, precursors of the Baycom Group
> >invented the Digicom and the Digicom modem.
> >
> >Even before, when the americans rode Cadillacs and
> >Buicks, the germans used their VW beetles and the
> >french their Citroens...
> >
> >I also feel a decline in ham radio. Many reasons
> can
> >be invoked. A friend once told me that - "nowadays,
> >with the Internet and cell phones, there is no need
> >torture yourself with learning electronics and the
> >Morse code. Ham radio is for romantics"
> >
> >Lucky us that there are still romantics writing
> code
> >and homebrewing equipment!
> >
> >73 de Jose, CO2JA

> protection around