Hi Rick,

Respectfully, since I already had this dialogue with Mr. Hare, there
is no sense in him repeating it through you, especially when he isn't
around here to discuss it himself.

But let me point out, that I personally have designed DSP-based
products that do precisely what we are talking about here. All the
engineers said, "It Couldn't Be Done", before we did it.

There were many nay-sayers before we did it, with much higher levels
of DSP expertise in this area than Mr. Hare, and they all had to eat
crow.

I assure you it is possible to make BPL-Busting Modes for ham radio.
Whether or not Mr. Hare and his ARRL buddies want hams to do it, and
are creating a smoke screen to discourage it, is technically moot.

Bonnie KQ6XA

> Rick Karlquist N6RK  wrote:
> Here is what ARRL's Ed Hare, W1RFI, had to say about this subject
> (cross posted from the "BPLandHamRadio" Yahoo group with Ed's
> consent).
> In particular note the comment about "white space":
>
> Quote:
>
> >  If BPL were simply a number of static carriers,
> >  digital-signal processing could, in theory, remove them.
> >
> >  Unfortunately, they are modulated, and generally
> >  modulated fast enough that the carrier itself is
> >  only a small portion of the energy. The rest is
> >  ever changing digital information which is, to
> >  other systems, noise.  It will appear as noise
> >  and the techniques used to remove carriers cannot remove BPL.
> >  Ed Hare, W1RFI
> >  ARRL Laboratory Manager
>
> Unquote

<*> Your email settings: