I never meant to say we should go back to CW for emergency
communications, although I think it should be in the toolbox.  My
point was more about bandwidths consumed in a shared environment.

As far as the Red Cross goes, they have at least 7 HF commercial
frequencies assigned to them in the FCC database.  An Icom M710 runs
about $1600 which is a substantial investment but should be doable for
an organization this big.  It also would allow any trained person,
amateur or not, to operate the rig and send messages.  As Winlink
likes to point out, their interface could be a simple email program.
Amateurs could be used as trainers, thereby vastly expanding the pool
of people available as communicators.

I would have hoped that hams would be consulting with organizations
that already have these resources available to set up internal
networks rather than promoting the use of ham frequencies and
equipment. And, perhaps they are, but it just isn't advertised.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <getting on my soap box>
>
> But 90% of my communicators are tech's and myself or other general
class ham operates as the control operator. Most only got there tech
license so they could volunteer as communicators and would never have
gotten their license if would have had to learn CW.

> Here's an example of how amateur radio can assist.
>
> Locally I need a radio operator 24X7 for 21-28 day disasters for 40
sites (just shelters for children who have severe medical
problems...not general public shelters...that's the Red Corss'
problem).  If only 1/2 can get off work, etc, then I need 120
operators (3 per day per site) and twice that many (280) if only 1/2
can get off.

> For our deployment teams who may travel across 2 or 3 states, we
need 120 operators, 2 per site for 60+ teams and hopefully all general
class...but they never are.

> There is NO WAY that our organization or the Red Cross or Salvation
Army or even military can provide that number of operators and besides
the cost of commercial radio equipment is way beyond the means for any
of the disaster relief organizations.  You cannot buy this kind of
communications.

> Trying to use CW, while I agree is the best way, isn't going to
realistically meet the needs...but if we don't (provide adequate
communications), watch the general public scream that the government
isn't providing the proper kind of communications.

> Its not equipment...its trained radio operators.
>
> Thanks,
>
> <getting off my soap box>
>
> 73,
>
> Walt/K5YFW