I'm not sure emergency communications is or should be the driver here.

I don't think anyone (or at least most) would begrudge some HF
frequencies be used for 3 kHz data during an actual emergency.  Where
the fly is in the ointment is where these frequencies are desired 365
days a year (or some large number) because there is always some
disaster somewhere.  My thought is that if this much usage is required
then the FCC should be petitioned to assign permanent frequencies for
emergency use only and let the pros and cons be discussed.  My
preference would be to allocate some of the 60m channels for this
purpose and let data be sent on them.

I would rather see more discussion on how to allocate bandwidths used
in compressed sub-bands on a daily basis.  Somehow a new bandplan
needs to be developed for 80m and 40m and these are very pertinent
discussions.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But, the     government ISNT supplying communications in this case.
   That
> is the whole problem.  They SHOULD be.  Not you.  Or at least not
requiring
> volunteers to do a job like that.  Yes, its nice if they are
available, but
> that is a big IF.  I think that this is EXACTLY what the Army/Airforce
> Reserve and National Guard should be prepared for.  Hang the price of
> equipment, they have to be trained anyway - train them to operate
military
> radio equpment.
>
> Its nice that we are available when something crops up in our neck
of the
> woods, and can go in and sit at a hospital, police station, etc.  But I
> think its getting carried away expecting that much help for
volunteers, who
> themselves may be directly affected by whatever the emergency is.  Our
> families are important,  and they SHOULD be first.  Then and only
then, am I
> available for emergency service elsewhere.
>

> Danny Douglas N7DC
> ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
> SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
> DX 2-6 years each.
> moderator  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FCC R&O

> >> Trying to use CW, while I agree is the best way, isn't going to
> realistically meet the needs...but if we don't (provide adequate
> communications), watch the general public scream that the government
isn't
> providing the proper kind of communications.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: