Even if we could do multimedia at a decent speed on HF kids wouldn't
be interested in doing it over ham radio.  Who's going to lug around a
transceiver and antenna when a simple cell phone can do it faster and
better?  Kids aren't stupid, they will use the device best suited for
the purpose.

It goes deeper than that.  I love the new Honda motorcycle commercial
where, I think it's Jeremy McGrath, tells kids in front of a video
game to go out and ride instead of sitting in front of the screen.
Too many kids don't want to know how things work on a physical level
and their parents don't require it of them.  When was the last time
any of you took your kid and disassembled an old lawn mower engine to
show them how it works?

We've become a consumer society instead of a manufacturing society.
Folks are more interested in using things than making them, kids
included.  As a result, the curiosity and inventiveness needed to have
kids interested, really interested in how a radio or other things
works has suffered.  And, for those who are interested in making
something, computers satisfy that urge to create really well, and very
cheaply. Software programming can be learned at home, on your own
time, and you can do some really neat stuff.

So the question is how do we get kids out from behind the
game/computer screen and into other things that are interesting too?
I don't have the answer to this but I think a lot more commercials
like Honda's would help.  Just think if NASCAR would promote go cart
racing and I mean really promote it with lots of money behind it.  We
might just have more kids interested in something mechanical.  In the
end, it's not WHAT ham radio can send over HF, its having kids
interested in HOW it is sent.

My two cents for what it's worth.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "John Champa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Not just for text messages....think multimedia:  pics, still and
motion.
> Sound - high quality. etc.
> Kids don't understand a phone that doesn't take pics, and soon has
an MP3
> player built-in too (HI).
>
> 73, John - K8OCL

Most on