Unfortunately, semi-automatic operation is problematic. The
initiating operator can know that the frequency is clear at his or
her end of the QSO, but can't know whether the frequency is clear at
the automatic station.

For example, I might connect with an automatic station in Nashville
from my QTH here in Boston, confident that no one in the Northeast
will be QRM'd. There's no way for me to know that the automatic
station will QRM an already-in-progress QSO between a station in
Houston and a station in Buenos Aires because I can't hear either end
of that QSO in Boston.

Thus all automatic stations must be equipped with busy frequency
detectors, even when their being initiated by a manned station.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McLaughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>