Jim,

Pactor 3 is not classified as a narrowband mode. It is a fairly wideband
digital mode.

The FCC made a very incorrect claim in the Report and Order, that stated:

"The Rules also subdivide all but two of these bands into a frequency
segment in which amateur stations may transmit only emissions that
require a narrow bandwidth, such as telegraphy, data or radio teletype
(RTTY) emissions, and a frequency segment in which amateur stations may
also transmit emissions that require more bandwidth, such as voice or
image emissions."

The fact is that there are other modes such as P3, wide versions of
Olivia, MT-63, that are similar to the bandwidth needed for voice
communication.

They go on further to make it very clear that they view the Data/RTTY
area as narrowband and the voice/image area as wideband and divided up
80 meter band to "result in a more equitable division of spectrum
between users of narrowband and wideband mode."

Footnote 60 is most interesting:

"... this division would result in two hundred channels for stations
transmitting telegraphy and other narrowband emissions and one hundred
thirty three channels for stations transmitting voice and other wideband
emissions."

They also seem to be suggesting that 500 Hz is the maximum size that is
appropriate for narrow band modes and why they made the limit at that
point, but they also would not go along with the ARRL request that they
not impose a 500 Hz BW limitation on data emissions an d would not make
it 3 KHz, yet they allowed the previous modes to be wider.