Demetre,

Correction
SCS says..."On an average channel, PACTOR-III is around 3.5 times faster than
PACTOR-II. On good channels, the effective throughput ratio between PACTOR-III
and PACTOR-II can exceed 5. PACTOR-III achieves slightly higher robustness at
the low SNR edge compared to PACTOR-II."

The URL to look at is http://www.scs-ptc.com/pactor.html and
http://www.scs-ptc.com/download/PACTOR-III-Protocol.pdf

Pactor III has several things going for it but also makes some considerations
to be compatible with Pactor II and I that degrade the potential performance of
Pactor III.

Note in KN6KB's chart. The HF channel simulator used by KN6KB was the KC7WW
Real-Time CCIR-520 Compliant HF Channel Simulator
(http://www.johanforrer.net/simulr.htm).

   Simulated conditions includes several modes:
        pass through,
        flat fading,
        multipath

   For flat fading and multipath conditions, the Watterson model for simulating
ionospheric
   effects is applied. This effectively simulates the compounded effects on
several incident
   rays (typically two) due to influence of Earth's magnetic field, refraction
in the ionosphere,
   and the dynamic motion of the ionosphere (Doppler). This results in the
production of realistic
   amplitude fading and phasing effects with controlled statistical properties.

   Behavior of the model is controlled by user-supplied parameters for
operating mode, fading
   rate, Doppler bandwidth. In addition, any level of Gaussian noise may be
specified to achieve
   a particular signal to noise ratio (SNR).

The figures in KN6KBs chart are an average of White Gaussian Noise, Multi-path
Good (conditions), Multi-path (poor conditions) and Flat Fading.  Again, note
that above -5 dB SNR, the only difference that KN6KB shows is a change in
throughput.  The BER is not addressed.

To achieve the higher thoughput of Pactor III, the number of tones
(carriers/sub-carriers) is increased at the expense of a wider bandwidth...500
Hz for Pactor II and a maximum occupied bandwidth: 2.4 kHz @ -40 dB, audio
passband: 400-2600 Hz (at Speed Level 6).

SCS's use of Huffman and pseudo Markov coding (can be considered as double
Huffman coding) is interesting and may be something that other coders may want
to look at.

Additionally the use of CCIR-CRC16 is nice.

While ARQ is nice, it does have a transmission distance limit of 40,000 km.
However for most, this is not a problem unless you are primarily going to use
the mode for short haul NVIS operation...even at the 20,000 km ARQ setting.

Perhaps the inclusion of a pilot tone(s) and  tones with some other form fix
modulation would have made the mode better.  Also, IMHO the frame format is
mode complicated that it needs to be.  However, the adaptive qualities of the
mode make it valuable.

The use of DQPSK in speed levels 6, 5, 4 are questionable in that for QPSK
modulation, you have a -3 dB loss...so the question is do you gain more using
QPSK or not?  Would have adding more DBPSK tones and a doppler tone proved
better.

And it goes without saying that using a real Viterbi decoder with soft decision
provides a good coding gain.

The features of Pactor III are the results of the cooperative and concerted
efforts of several individuals who were not simply writing code to see what
they could come up with.  Rather they had a specific goal or set of
speculations to work toward.  The combination of cooperative effort and
specific outcome goals has made Pactor III a very successful HF data
transmission protocol.

With the opensource soundcard protocols commonly referred to on this list, it
is a shame that there is not more cooperative and collaborative coding efforts
and a consensus of what outcome specifications hams are looking for in an HF
data modem.

73,

Walt/K5YFW