Here's a modest proposal:  compress most of the QSO the way the
moonbounce modes do, by knowing what is expected at that point and
expressing it in a few bits.  For PSK, we could just standardize on
macro names for a few things and the two modems can negotiate about
whether to expand them on TX or RX.

Instead of sending "Your RST is 599" when the macro is RST the TX could
just send "^RST" and the RX modem can expand this into "Your RST is
599."  And if you send "^STATION ^BRAG" the RX program can just print
"OM sent you a big list of his computer equipment."

This might also eliminate a lot of the uppercase text as well...