I think that for some, the fiddling may be OK. I have spent an
unbelievable amount of time over the years on fiddling with C-64's,
Apple //e, 286's up to Pentium IV's,with both software and hardware, as
I am sure many others here have as well.

One of the most difficult things I had to do a year or so ago was try
and reload Windows 98 into an older machine (after using it for Vector
Linux for a while with pretty good success), and give it to my mother
who is in her 90's and had a 166 MHz box that was just not running well
anymore so my 450 MHz box helped some. I  was tempted to leave Linux on
her system as all she really needed was to run a web browser but I
didn't:(  I was surprised how hard it is to obtain drivers for things
such as newer monitors but I finally did get it loaded and she has been
using it successfully for some time with Win 98. Thank goodness for the
free AVG virus protection software system!

I really think that there is going to be a sea change in the world.
There are too many things happening, although very slowly yet,
especially in third world countries where Linux is going to be the
default OS whether people like it or not. And unless they are content to
run older MS software (illegal, of course), they will likely find it far
better to move to Linux as more technical expertise occurs and it
becomes the defacto standard.

There are not many programs that would be unavailable on Linux anymore.
I was surprised when I came across this web site that has detailed the
equivalents/replacements and analogs of Windows with Linux. Very
interesting. Note where this is coming from too even though it is
written in English:

http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

With some ham radio software only being available now in Linux and not
MS OS, the tables are somewhat turning. It will be years, of course, but
there are literally billions of people who either can get an excellent
product for no cost or minimal cost, or have to steal a product that not
really any better and some would say worse in some cases, but has First
World momentum. If UNIX had been available for $50 instead of $1000 back
20 years ago I doubt that MS would have succeeded in the marketplace.