From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Salomao
Fresco
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 12:39 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Movement toward open digital software?

Hi!

Just my 2 cents:

Apple had no role in any of these industry defining machinations.  The
only place they were on the map at ALL was in desktop publishing (which
they continued to dominate for years).

And still do! lol

Regards

On 1/12/07, Peter G. Viscarola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If you don't care about the history of Windows vs Unix, you can hit
delete now.  This has nothing to do with ham radio as far as I can tell.

> It was an MS vs Apple battle not MS vs Unix.  Or perhaps MS
> DOS vs IBM PCDOS. MS developed Windows and IBM didn't have an
> equal.  So MS kind of got it bby default.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

Apple was never a serious contender.  Certainly not in the corporate or
government marketplace.  The timeframe when Microsoft's major
consolidation occurred was between 1989 and 1994.

Remember that Windows was developed by MS for IBM, and MS was on track
to develop an entirely new replacement for Windows for IBM (what MS
eventually released as Windows NT) when the "great scism" between IBM
and MS occurred.

Further, while MS was wildly working to get Windows established (prior
to and just around the Windows 3.1 timeframe), Unix forces were
attempting to align behind a single Unix flavor under the banner of the
Open Software Foundation.  This died due to the usual squabbles and
politics.

During this time US government procurment was requiring Posix (IEEE
1003) compliance... Which required Unix. To combat this, Microsoft
created specific facilities in Windows NT to accommodate Posix programs.
This allowed Windows to be sold into US Government markets that were
"Posix only."

Against this backdrop, the proprietary systems vendors (Digital, Sun
(Apollo), HP, and also IBM) were spending vast sums of money to comete
with each other, but made it up easily by charging $20K-$50K per
workstation.

Apple had no role in any of these industry defining machinations.  The
only place they were on the map at ALL was in desktop publishing (which
they continued to dominate for years).

de Peter K1PGV

Announce your digital  presence via our DX Cluster telnet://cluster.dynalias.org

Our other groups: