The trade off that I see is that we either have a few (very few) new
entrants who are highly motivated and likely to continue with amateur
radio for a lifetime, or we have many new entrants, with a relatively
simple entrance requirement, but only a few will stay with it. But a lot
more, than you would have had with just a few entrants.

Our public policy for many years,  has been to take the second approach.
If we had stayed with FCC examining sites requiring the 150 mile travel
radius, the 5 wpm for Technician and 13 wpm CW tests for General, the
requirement for drawing diagrams of circuits, and having no question
pool but having to really know the material in order to pass the test, I
honestly believe that at best we would have 10% as many new entrants as
we now have. This would not replace the number leaving amateur radio due
to lack of interest, time contraints, and most likely becoming SK.

The reason that I believe this to be a reasonable estimate is that I am
very hard pressed to come up with more than a handful of hams that I
have known over the years who would have jumped through all the hoops
that we had up until about 1980. My wife and daughter certainly would
not have done it. Not even the slightest chance. Same thing for most
others.

So if we want amateur radio to continue, we really have no choice to try
and attract enough people so that a few will stay with it for the long
term. If we did not do that, and continued to lose the many, many
technical folks that we have lost for years now, we would see a
precipitous decline in ham numbers (and political clout) now that the
first wave of the 10 year licenses has ended. As it is we are seeing a
decline right now. I don't see this turning around much, if any, but if
we can at least hold our own that would be helpful.

I am expecting a substantial number of hams moving toward getting their
General class license. Since they will rarely be using CW, they will
mostly be using voice. But when they discover how easy it is to work
weaker signals on PSK31, Olivia, MFSK16, etc., I am hopeful that we can
expect an increase in digital operators.