If I understand it correctly, the raised cosine pulses tend to be more
efficient with power, reduce the crest factor (Pactor 2 is under 1.5),
and perhaps make it easier to have a cleaner signal.

Just for clarification I have a question: Is QAM modulation a form of
ASK? It would seem so to me but I am not sure. Otherwise, what other
modulation forms fall into the ASK category?

Although the SSTV modes are not automatically adaptive, there is a
limited choice of number of tones, but for the most part I believe that
they have found 16QAM to be about all you can get to work well on many
HF circuits, particularly on the lower frequencies.

I wonder how a 4-QAM mode compares to say a 4-PSK mode when up against
the ionosphere?

There must have been a reason that DRM uses QAM instead of PSK? Any
thoughts on why?

In terms of coding, it would be very interesting is to compare two
multitone modems, perhaps a 2 tone and an 8 tone (similar to pactor 2
and 3) and have one with R-S and one with Viterbi and see if there is
any difference on various circuits.

Does anyone have information on this already?