Hi Rick/Dave,
   When the copy gets tough I use a 350hz (-6db) ICOM
   FL-232 filter in my ICOM-706mkII for copying Olivia
   16tones/500hz. The filter skirts are not sharp so it
   works ok.
   I used that setup to copy Juergen DL8LE  and Massimo
   IZ0GKZ  recently on those EU/NA tests on 160m.
   Of course :-)   I had some help from linux software (Fldigi)
   and linux OS (Kubuntu 6.06).
    73,
    Irvine N5UNB
kv9u wrote:

Hi Dave,
Yes, the narrower filters will help a great deal. .........
If I could only have one additional filter than the stock SSB filter, I
would go for the 500 Hz filter since it is very useful for CW use as
well as narrow to medium digital modes. I have a 270 Hz crystal filter
in my Kenwood TS-440SAT that I find rather narrow although some might
prefer that for CW.....
If you go narrower than 500 Hz, you can not use a number of digital
modes that are around or slightly under 500 Hz, but may not fit well
into at 250 Hz bandpass....

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/message/20136;_ylc=X3oDMTM2ZGs4aTBkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BG1zZ0lkAzIwMTQwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE3MzI5NTUyOAR0cGNJZAMyMDEzNg--> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMnJuNTUzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BG1zZ0lkAzIwMTQwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE3MzI5NTUyOA--?act=reply&messageNum=20140>