From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of kv9u
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:31 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: CQ CH?

Bruce and group members,

I am not suggesting in any way that only 1% of hams use CW. I am talking
about QRQ CW where you are having a near real time conversation. It
seems to me that you have to get up around 30 or 35 wpm or more to even
approach that point from what I have seen. One of the big equalizers is
the use of the short forms on CW.

Did you ever notice that on digital modes, most of us type in the full
text and do not tend to use the short forms (fer, es, ?, wid, tt, etc.)
which are used quite a bit by savvy operators? The one difference (just
like digital keyboarding) is when the CW operator is using a keyboard
rather than a keyer. It seems that there is more of a tendency to spell
it out in full. With the keyboard (perfectly sent code) I sometimes will
use a computer to follow along.

You do have a fairly substantial number of CW contesters, although the
exchanges are fairly standardized and it may be a bit different from a
longer chat.

My normal code speed is very comfortable around 15 to 18 wpm, but I
consider it to be fairly slow code. I will QRS though for anyone. If I
try and get up around 25, I start missing too many characters as I have
never learned to copy in my head and see the letters spell the words.
There are a few exceptions with common words and certain syllables such
as the "ing" which stands out for me.

Isn't it just fantastic that most rigs now come with built-in keyers?
That is so slick compared to having YAB (Yet Another Box) to connect up
between the key paddle and the rig:) I even figure out a way to connect
my Bencher paddle to either my Ten Tec Argonaut V or my ICOM rig with
one cable for the ICOM, and an 1/8" stereo to 1/4" stereo female jack
for the Argo, and then it coincidentally works with a straight key with
the Argo without any wiring changes:)