I am not privy to the PMBO code, but I would be extremely surprised
if "Active busy detection would stop all PMBO operations." All that
is required is for a PMBO in its idle state to not respond to an
incoming user request if the busy detector output was positive
anytime during the last X minutes; where 1 < X < 5.

A more likely concern is that adding a busy busy detector would make
PMBOs vulnerable to intentional QRM. This is one of the tradeoffs we
all make by using the amateur bands for communications as opposed to
commerical services. However, a WinLink PMBO could easily outlast a
human QRMer, and the delay in email delivery would likely have no
serious consequences. During emergencies, one would expect PMBO
operators to disable busy detection.

   73,

        Dave, AA6YQ