There are great possibilities for experimentation in ham radio.  Look at all
of the advancements that hams have developed over the years.  Even
television was developed by several ham operators.  The first non-government
satellite was built by amateur radio operators, etc.  Today, it appears that
the majority of advancement is in the software field, for which many of us
are not qualified, but many are - but that has been the same over the
decades.  Not everyone was able to develope the transistor or chips, but
there were certainly hams involved in those activities.

What is happening now is that software modes are being developed, one after
the other, and they are competing with modes that have been around since day
one and MUST NOT intefere with hams who are enjoying those.  After all,
there are more "operators" than "developers".  I personally think that the
suggested "by bandwidth" assignments will be better than what we have now.
That will allow new developments in communications to be tested on the air,
after development, than does the present situation.  It is just that we have
to insure they do not intefere with present operations, and they thus will
need an area where they CAN be tested, and the rules must be that they are
NOT allowed to chase off those of us who are already  operating other modes.
Its a touchy situation, but can be met with stringent controls over
bandwidth within certain areas of the amateur assignment.  There has never
been a period wherein technology has not expanded within the ranks.  We just
have to insure that the expansion of one mode does not harm the use of the
present modes.  If they die a slow death because of the improvements of
other modes, that is a different situation, than is killing them off by
interference.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all