There was no detection available when the rules were implemented
(1995?). That is the reason for the automatic areas. It was primarily
intended for fully automatic stations, such as the Winlink system
(perhaps the is still true for the NTS/D system which continues to use
the old Winlink software), and for AX.25 store and forward.

Winlink 2000 no longer has any fully automatic stations where both sides
of the communication are done with no human monitoring.  In fact, the
Winlink 2000 folks recommended a prohibition against fully automatic
stations, but eventually withdrew that after creating quite a firestorm
with the automatic forwarding community who were using amateur radio to
forward the messages.

They only use semi-automatic (one side human, one side machine)  and
that is permitted any place in the text data sub bands as long as it is
under 500 Hz. There is no rule requirement for busy frequency detection
at this time. The viewpoint at the time was that hopefully there would
not be too much of a problem with hidden transmitters. However, as a
compromise, the wider P3 mode requires it to be placed within the
automatic sub bands.

Winlink 2000 then moved the traffic off of amateur radio and put it
prmarily on the internet. And that includes 100% of all the
autoforwarding. There is no HF autoforwarding capability in Winlink 2000
under its current design, but that may someday change.

The positive outcome is that this drastically reduced the communications
load of HF store and forward and drastically increased the delivery
speed. This works well for casual traffic such as RV'ers sending e-mail
from remote sites. It is NOT a serious emergency tool, even though they
push this incessantly! It is a very fragile system that requires many
things to work perfectly or it does not work at all. I could not imagine
using it as a major communications method if I was using it for blue
water boating or other fairly dangerous activities. I could see it used
as a secondary or tertiary backup for other systems.