The ARRL promoted the use of digital modes and that includes Pactor
modes which have been with us for two decades now. The Winlink 2000
system, and the earlier systems, such as Winlink and Netlink (somewhat
with Aplink), all used proprietary systems of Pactor and Clover II.
Clover II support was dropped a few years ago and only Pactor modes are
now used on Winlink 2000.

If there were new, low cost sound card modes that could handle
messaging, such as is available with the Linux OS, you might find that
fewer radio amateur would spend the large sums to acquire the expensive
proprietary products and would move toward narrower bandwidth modes that
also could (and should) be monitored as required under our self policing
rules.

Pactor II and especially III are claimed to be difficult to nearly
impossible to decode with software. Even if you have a P3 modem and
monitor some of these transmissions, it is no guarantee that you can
decode the actual data. It would require special software to be able to
do this. At one time the Winlink 2000 owners were pleased that they had
something close to encryption without calling it that. But at least one
ham claimed he had written a program in a few minutes that can read the
data. I have not heard of any details since and that was over a year or
two ago.

All amateur modes should be easily monitored in order to insure that
legal data is being sent. But it does not seem to be happening at this
time with the P2 and P3 modes. I wonder of any OO's can even monitor
content.