If it was really child's play, it would have been done several years
ago. I too used to think that this could be done, even if current OS's
were not adequate for ARQ modes with that kind of timing. My
understanding is that some have tried to do it but not succeeded.

The Winlink 2000 folks (Winlink was discontinued several years back
except for use with NTS and possibly some other non ham systems), were
openly pleased with the fact that these modes were difficult to decode.
Especially with the additional compression scheme used. I believe you
will find a number of hams who support these kinds of systems who now
would like to see encryption on the ham bands. At least on VHF and up.
They claim this is needed for security for emergency communications. So
they felt pretty good that they could point to the fact that few, if
any, could monitor their P3 transmissions.

I suspect that most hams are like me and do not support any encryption
at any time, even on VHF and higher. I do agree that proprietary modes
should not be on amateur radio, but it is many years too late to make a
change unless a groundswell occurred and I don't see that happening.