From: "expeditionradio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Hams should have encryption
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:07:07 -0000

 > Bill N9DSJ wrote:
 > Can see no valid reason for encryption on our frequencies. If one
 > could provide an single example I would be interested......

Hi Bill,

Hams should certainly have the capability to pass over-the-air
encrypted traffic or scrambled speech for emergencies and disaster
relief. There are other situations where it would be useful, too. In
order to have seamless capability in an emergency, hams should be
familiar and proficient with the use of it on a regular basis.

Encryption should not be with the sole intent to obscure the content
from other hams, but it should be availble to hams when there is a
need to shield sensitive data and information from evil-doers.

Here are a few reasons for hams to use limited encryption in the
over-the-air communication:

1. To shield private data
2. To shield private telephone numbers
3. To shield sensitive email addresses
4. To shield system passwords
5. To shield station remote control
6. To secure access to stations
7. To control satellites
8. To shield messages sent by a 3rd party to ham
9. To protect medical information
10. To protect 3rd party traffic requiring confidentiality
11. To control repeaters
12. To shield identities of children

I'm sure there are more reasons... but that's some of the things I
thought of in the few minutes it took to write this.

Bonnie KQ6XA