I am afraid many of them don't really care what you and I think about it.
In this atmosphere of fright, many think that if we DON'T do as they are
planning, we will loose our freqs totally.  I think if we do it, we indeed
WILL loose our freqs.  Thus it turns out to be a catch-as-catch-can
situation.  WE have just got to convince the powers that be, that this is
NOT a viable path to the result they want.

As a professional communicator of some 29 years service, working with
encryption equipment I understand its use, why and how it is used and that
once it is in service, it is NEVER going to be removed from service, except
to be replaced by more advanced equipment.

There will be absolutely no way that any other ham can ever read the
traffic, unless he/she has the same algologrythms, and the same key.  The
more people that have that key, the more likely you are to have a resulting
"leak" of the information.  Thus, government, and private services normally
use point-to-point keying material, where only two stations have the same
key, resulting in high security, but very little capability of sending the
message to someone else, without another set of keys being held by the final
two stations.

Who will supply the key materials?  Who will insure that this material is
kept under high security situations, both during storage, and under use?
This opens up a whole other problem.  Are all these hams going to have to
have a security clearance?  Who would issue that?

Right now, the NSA supplies ALL government crypto key material, and does all
the testing, engineering, buying of government agency crypto devices, and
keying materials.  Will the equipment and keying materials have to be
procured the same way?

Just the part of the crypto question alone is a staggering job.

Frankly, if the government wants and needs (and they do) additional
radio/communications personnel for emergencies, and certain hams wish to
volunteer for the assignment, that is just fine.  Please just leave the rest
of us out of it and don't force us to change our ways, or loose our present
capabilities, in order for them to do so.  Go ahead step up as hams, but
only because hams are the semi-trained communicators of the day.  It is like
WWII.  Hams stepped forward and taught CW, ran circuits, etc.  But they used
military equpment, after they were trained by the military to do so.  No
different than today.  Step up with your knowledge, learn their way of dong
things, use their equipment, AND THEIR FREQS.

Meanwhile, if we have another Madison county flood, I will again go down to
the fire/rescue station and set up a radio and sit there until the
Navy/Coast Guard arrives.  Of course, being the only HF ham active in the
county, there arent too many more to talk to.  The one or two on UHF/VHF
were busy trying to protect their own.  The other HF ops, has passed on to
other pastures, and it turned out that he and I were on the same side of the
rivers, and no hams were on the other side that were flooding.  I wonder how
many small towns in the US, indeed how many counties have no hams?

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each