From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:59 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] A.L.E., VHS and Betamax

I doesn't sound like this mode would require much change in software,
but if you have a rig with some kind of unchangeable firmware, I can see
where AQC would not work. If we ever did get ALE placed in amateur rigs,
it would be wise to have it in a flash eeprom form that can be updated
with new technology.

ALE is very unlikely to have a large following with radio amateurs
because we don't tend to operate by calling specific stations, but I can
see the potential for certain kinds of net operation. Even better would
be some kind of store and forward or at least BBS type system to shift
away from real time interfacing that we typically must do with nets. In
fact, the main reason that I reduced my activity with NTS nets was not
only the lack of traffic, but the requirement to meet at a specific time
and day, which was not acceptable to me.

I realize that part of the attraction of nets is the human social
function and machine connections are not the same thing and that is
probably why other BBS systems did not stay in the forefront over the
years.

If I understand your comments, you are saying that it is only a
theoretical thing that we could run Amtor/Pactor/ and other high speed
switching protocols with existing Operating Systems. I guess I look at
all of this as to what can we do with what we have in place now and are
likely to have in place for the foreseeable future and any kind of RTOS
seems unlikely. The main development of new, and yet practical
technology has come from Patrick's FAE mode.

As I often point out, we have the pieces already developed, to wit:

- very high speed modes that work with very good signals (> 10 dB S/N)
and modest baud rates that are legal here in the U.S.
- software frameworks such as Multipsk and possibly DM780 that handle
the rig control through an auxiliary program such as DXLab Commander and
Ham Radio Deluxe
- no longer having a need for fast switching due to being able to
pipeline data into a background thread to be processed while a new
packet is incoming
- busy frequency detection

The main missing piece is being able to automatically switch between a
suite of modes and negotiate the best mode for the current conditions.

I'm still very skeptical of the utility of very high baud rate single
tone modems for moderate to weak signals that are well below the MUF,
but I am keeping an open mind on this and keep looking for some real
world testing results that would compare various modes. The earlier
document I mentioned suggests to me that these modes may not work well
below 10 dB S/N and that is often what we radio amateurs must work with.

Lately, there have been more comments about HF e-mail and ALE. What is
currently available other than PSKmail for Linux OS that permits anyone
to set up servers to route the traffic into the internet?