Having been in Navy MARS in college and later AF MARS after military
service, there did not seem to be that much difference from amateur
radio net procedures, so that is why I was wondering why the difference
considering the extra work that has to be involved in forking the
program. Maybe MARS needs more broadcast modes since more of their
transmissions are based upon one to many?

In terms of CAT PTT, aren't you  using some of the same interfacing with
RS-232 serial connection for rig control?  It seems a step backwards to
set up two RS-232 serial ports considering that we also need to convert
from USB. I admit that the ICOM CI-V might be less than perfect and
could hang up in TX mode as I have had this happen. For unattended
operation, maybe you would need a separate PTT, but for most users,
keeping it as simple as possible commensurate with adequate rig control
seems to me to be the goal with modern interfacing.

While the Rigblaster interfaces are used by many hams, I am not that
impressed with their design if it requires two serial ports and I am not
sure if they completely isolate both audio lines. One of the most common
interfaces seems to be the Tigertronics which keys the PTT line using
computer audio, but I definitely do not recommend that approach:)

To meet the spirit, and perhaps the legal requirements of Part 97, all
ALE programs need to be able to monitor all transmissions. The last
thing we need is a replay of Pactor modes which are problematical in
monitoring and many of us, if given the choice, would ban the use of
such modes.