From my perspective, perhaps some of the reasons are:

- Some digital programs only support a few modes, but typically they are
all going to support PSK31 and RTTY

- As new modes are developed, they are invariably going to be compared
to the existing leaders and need to have some compelling new advantages.

- At first many of us are curious and want to try out the mode to see
how it performs (or not). But after a few months, it may be found to
have certain undesirable traits compared to the baseline modes (even
though it may also have some desirable traits).

- Most new modes do not seem to have significant improvements over
existing modes if you take the tradeoffs into consideration. Does the
new mode have adequate keyboard speed like PSK31?  Is it an efficient,
narrow mode, or a wide bandwidth mode that may not have a large
advantage? Is it easy to tune in and tolerant of not having to be
exactly on frequency? Does it have much latency (the time it takes to
quit sending the data)?

Looking at specific modes:

- RTTY for contesting due to having low latency and ability to have the
quick turn around that contesters require and adequate speed of 60 wpm
with 45 baud RTTY. Other modes, including PSK, do not do well in that
environment

- PSK31 for most chats. Speed about 40 wpm, can handle more ISI than
RTTY, very sensitive, very narrow mode.

- Olivia is relatively slow and in order to have the more robust
protocols is relatively wide with the 8 tone/1000 Hz  mode which has a
speed just under 60 wpm so is incredibly wide compared to PSK31 but with
better throughput. Many of the Olivia modes are under 30 wpm and even
under 20 wpm! Can handle polar flutter.

- MT-63 has good speed, but not very sensitive and has the wide
bandwidth, hard to tune with weak signals, but can handle severe
interference and ISI with a fair to good signal. Has very significant
latency after the data is entered until it is all sent. Typically over 6
seconds delay, but very good at handling selective fading.

- MFSK16 has very good weak signal capability, narrow bandwidth, slow
baud rate very good tolerance to . Difficult to tune in and can not
tolerate much frequency error.

- DominoEX seemed like a good mode, and excels at handling ISI with
slower speeds as needed, easy to tune in, good speed for the baud rate
with the 18 tone IFK, narrow bandwidth, but surprisingly can be affected
by the ionosphere quite severely. A real eye opener is the experience of
Rein, PA0R, when he attempted to use other protocols than PSK for
PSKmail. I think he was surprised how poorly the MFSK/IFK modes worked
compared to faster baud rate PSK. In fact, PSK125 seems to work very
well with an ARQ mode.

- CHIP modes were mostly experimental and did not perform well at least
at the 300 baud rate, not very sensitive, prone to errors, modest speed
considering the baud rate.

- THROB and THROBX, with the very slow speeds can go deeper into the
noise with an multitone FSKsignal but at the speeds competitive with
PSK31, perhaps not that much of an improvement in performance.

Consider that after all these years, with their third change in modems,
SCS designed the Pactor 3 protocol to:

- keep the symbol rate at 100 baud instead of switching between 200 baud
as done in P2
- keep the constellation simpler at only 2PSK and 4PSK, not even 8PSK
- avoid ASK modes which they found years ago did not work well on HF
- use multiple tones that can be dropped off when conditions get rough
in order to have wider spacing

-