Hi Walt,

Winlink2000 does not have an HF sound card implementation. They are
possibly working on it, but it has been 2 and 1/2 years since they
stopped further development on SCAMP (Sound Card Amateur Messaging
Protocol) when they discovered that it would not be possible to get it
to work with weak signals.

I have reinstalled Vista Home Premium and installed numerous Linux
variants and I would say that none of them are very difficult but Vista
surprised me in that it was quite fast and easy to reinstall. The MS
product is finessed a bit better and you generally don't have to worry
about whether it will work with your soundcard/monitor/wireless
ethernet/etc., but this is a continuing problem with Linux.

As a long time MS Office user who changed to Open Office a couple years
ago, I would have to say that MS Office is a slightly better product in
terms of use. Particularly with compatibility since they wrote the
design and made it difficult for others to reverse engineer the
protocols. I use a lot of tables and so I am somewhat biased against OO
which does not work as well with that one issue for me.

But OO Writer does not have the horrific bug that I think was never
fixed in MS Word that can trash your entire document. It does not occur
very often, but can be a problem with very large hundred + page docs
with complicated formatting. My understanding is that because of the
difficulty maintaining the Windows programs and OS, they could never
find the problem so it is likely still there.  I used to make frequent
backups because just making one little maneuver with multiple pages of
tables in Word would trash the entire file:(

But in the final analysis, when you compare free with $500 or so, I will
go with OO:)