Hi Andy,

Yes you are missing the key item with this support, its called "Voice
Detect", not "Busy Detect"! As such its looking for channel acty that
is Voice or Voice like ( which is what I hate about this item) to
hold off transmitting.

In Amateur Radio as in most applications of ALE, you have scenarios
where ALE is used in a multi-mode environment of digital signaling,
digital data, digital voice and analog voice, Voice Detect looks for
Analog Voice. Thus with respect to Amateur Radio it would not be used
in the digital subbands but rather the Voice subbands so as not to
transmit where ALE can be used in limited ways due to Amateur rules
in many areas, especially here in the U.S.

In MARS, and most all Government and Military operations, all modes
utilized are done so on the same channels ( for the most part ) and
as such Voice Detect keeps an ALE Sounding or Linking Call from
stomping on an Analog Voice contact, predicated on the timing the
sample period to detect the analog voice and the analog voice channel
acty, which is why no form of busy channel, be it Voice Detect or
other will ever be perfect unless one is looking to detect a signal
that is always active, in which case the channel is for the most part
useless ( unless said signal can be overcome by EIRP).

I find all this channel busy detect crap rather funny myself, I know
such a statement is going to bring out the flames, but intentional
interference is one thing, however system automation for digital
communications where one end of the equation is automated and the
goal is for the Remote Attended station to grab the Automated station
for access to send and receive e-mail is not interference, the
stations that are operating on the same spectrum should know better,
its that simple.

Really what should be done at the next WARC is set aside 10, 25, 50
to 100Khz (depending on the spectrum size of each given band in
question) off little used Voice spectrum on the bottom of each band
that goes mostly unused except for contests of the occasional rare DX
station that pops up for much more useful daily Traffic Automation
Systems using 3Khz channels ( or better ) with no symbol rate
limitations where no peer-to-peer contacts are NOT allowed in my
opinion, there is just so much Phone spectrum going to waste its just
stupid, especially consider the benefits it provided by Traffic
Automation. Such a move would be a move in the right direction for
the future of the Amateur Radio Service.

Sincerely,

/s/ Steve, N2CKH