Except pactor 3 modems, in essence, choose the operating bandwidth in
an "unattended" fashion.  Even in a keyboard to keyboard conversation,
a pactor 3 modem can vary its bandwidth based upon the signal strength
and do so without operator intervention.  This means you might spend
15 minutes at 500 Hz in a keyboard to keyboard conversation and have
other operators begin conversations near you.  Then the modems can
suddenly expand to the full 2.4 kHz bandwidth without your
intervention and cause harmful interference to the signals near yours.

So in essence, pactor 3 modems choose their bandwidth in an
"unattended" fashion regardless of the type of operation.

They were designed to do this because they were designed for
commercial operation where once you "seize" a 3 kHz channel the entire
channel is yours for the duration of the connection.  This IS NOT how
the amateur bands work!

Jim
WA0LYK