Rick wrote:

> Dave seems to have the high ground on this discussion. Some of Jose's
> comments lately seem to be very specious, which surprises me since he
> has normally been fairly logical in his comments. I am concerned that
> Jose is claiming that Dave does not accept the hidden transmitter issue,
> which is preposterous! I have seen Dave's comments many times and a
> major concern that he and others have is that there is the hidden
> transmitter effect. What is going on here, Jose? I think at the very
> least an apology is in order for deliberately misconstruing Dave's
> actual viewpoints.

     Rick, initially I understood he was denying the existence of the
     hidden station. It has not been my intention at all to deliberately
     miscontrue his viewpoint.

     I accept I am fallible and that may have I misunderstood his point
     when reading not in a full context. I may have been misled.
     English is not my mother tongue. I gain nothing in discrediting
     anyone on a false ground, that is also unnacceptable to me.

     David himself has explained that he assumed the Winlink's position
     to deny its validity. But initially I understood the contrary, which
     left me bewildered. I have not seen anywhere such a denial made by
     the Winlink team themselves.

     I have been after the truth, and nothing else. I understand the
     hidden station effect is UNDENIABLE, and I find the denial of a
     proven physical unnaceptable, to say the least.

     What is needed? An apology that it was a misunderstanding? Haven't I
     told it already in a implicit way? It appears in the last paragraph
     you quote. If a explicit phrase is needed, here it goes:

     Mr. Bernstein, sorry if I misunderstood you.

     Is that OK now, Rick?

     But I have seen my statements misconstrued, and attempts that I
     justify things I did not state. Objectively, persisting in the
     clarification of every tiny detail has solved nothing, and
     actually has led to a verbal escalation. It is a worthless
     endeavour.

     Jose, CO2JA

> If Winlink 2000 proponents claimed that there is no hidden transmitter
> problem, then they are on denial of basic physics. There can even be non
> reciprocal two way transmissions where one signal is much stronger in
> one direction than the other.
>
> Arguing about who is operates on the air the most is completely specious
> and  tells me that the person arguing that point realizes they are
> unable to support their position. I am not sure if I have ever worked
> Dave or Jose but does it really have anything to do with the topic? Of
> course it does not. An SWL can see what is going on.
>
> The only reason that the busy signal detector was not further developed
> for use by the automatic stations in the Winlink 2000 system is a
> decision made by the owners of the system. Not because it did not work,
> since it worked very well.
>
> Steve, K4CJX and Rick, KN6KB have said repeatedly over the years, that
> they welcome additional programmer assistance but they claim that no one
> who has agreed to work with them will follow through and they gave up on
> them. They used to make this claim about Linux support as well.
>
> Now Dave, you are claiming that three of the top programmers of radio
> amateur software in the world offered to help Winlink 2000 and they
> turned you down? When did this happen? Before they developed SCAMP?
>
> Why didn't you and Peter and Bob give some consideration to a PSKmail
> type of system which gets around some of the shortcomings of Winlink 2000?
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>

> Dave Bernstein wrote:
>> Dave said:
>>  *** Actually, Jose, I recruited Bob N4HY and Peter G3PLX to work with
>> me on developing a soundcard-based protocol that would replace Pactor
>> as the transport for Winlink. But the WinLink guys made it clear that
>> they would never use it, so we stopped.
>>

>> Jose said:
>> Your repeated postings about this anti Winlink stuff, as I
>> understood, denying the existence of the hidden station effect. If
>> you finally admit it DOES exist, that's OK with me.

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu