At 09:23 PM 10/17/2007, you wrote:
>Of course traffic going through your station has to be read or it would
>not have a purpose, but one of the "selling points" that the Winlink
>2000 folks claimed in the past, was that because of the compression it
>made it virtually impossible to anyone to monitor the traffic.

***In 1984 they started doing the very same thing to Packed traffic
from one BBS to the other.

>The problem is that some people are using ham radio for commercial
>purposes

***this may be true, but, as I have said I have not seen it.

>I suppose what constitutes commercial traffic might vary some from
>individual to individual, but I would not use it for any business
*** Nor would I.

>transactions, stock market quotations or buying and selling, that sort
>of thing. I can see where it would be nice to use for sending messages
>to relatives and friends if I was traveling, but this can only be
>available for very few people.
>
>As you know, I think that we need better, faster, and spectrum
>conserving sound card modes.

***So where do you stand on Packet. It's about as slow and wide as
well as out dated as it can get..

But as far as a ARQ sound card mode, the only thing I have seen was
a system that only could do 43.7% of what the TNC did.

In other words, sent the traffic went out for lunch and still waited for
the none TNC system to get done.

John, W0JAB