Hi Jack,

In the later part of the message I mentioned that with the last station,
we tried another mode and I suggested DEX 4 (Domino EX 4 baud) which we
went to as a comparison. It is quite slow compared to the speed of FAE
400 but it performed moderately well but with some hits on my end. The
other station was copying me 100%.

At one time I had high hopes for DEX as being the new mode that would be
the new breakthrough,  but the performance, while being OK, was not that
much of a difference from other keyboard modes. It does not handle weak
signals as well as MFSK16 but it much easier to tune in and hold the
lock. It is moderately narrow compared to some of the wider modes, or
wider versions of variable modes such as Olivia and works much faster
than Olivia on the higher (but of course less sensitive) speeds.

I suspect that under certain conditions, particularly severe multipath,
I am sure it will perform much better than PSK modes, since the
developer had that as part of the design. The problem is that most of us
do not know the actual conditions going on with ISI, etc. We just know
whether a mode works or doesn't under subjective conditions.

I think that DEX was attempted as the basis for an ARQ mode but for
whatever reason just did not work out.

At this time, I would have to say that the all around top performing ARQ
sound card mode has to be FAE 400. More sensitive than ALE 400 and
dramatically more sensitive than wide ALE modes, and under moderately
good,  to not so good conditions can move data faster than most can
type. The moderate bandwidth (less than 500 Hz) makes this mode more
appropriate for the narrow text digital portions of the bands, and is
much easier to find an open space to transmit compared with modes that
may need 1000 or even 2000+ Hz.

It would be very much appreciated to hear other comments of those who
are using FAE 400, both pro and con.