HI...

For a "newbie" you're being just a tad bit too judgemental
in wielding such a broad brush.  I've been licensed over
50 years and can assure you that there's much more to this
hobby than simple robotic contact exchanges for a post card
in MANY "Oldsters" thinking.

That said, too many exotic modes is an opinion that has as
much value as your broad brush statement chastizing Hams
who have nurtured this hobby long before you came along.

Have fun with this stuff.  You've surely got a lot better
equipment and modes and technology available than in
times past, that's for sure.  But, to be well-rounded in the
hobby, you should remember there's more to it than just
tinkering, testing, technical exploration, and such.  There's
the human aspect.  Hams are Ambassadors-Without-
Portfolio; always have been.  It comes with the territory
and tradition.  Those stations who just want your info
exahange are not just "oldsters" but rather, of all ages
and nationalities.  If you don't explore this, you'll be no
different than an Engineer who lacks studies in the
Humanities and the Arts.  Quite shallow and socially
limited.

OH...BTW, welcome.  You've got some exciting stuff in
store for you, if you keep an open mind and let yourself
explore.  However, perhaps you'll find 50 years passing by
before you know it and find yourself being confronted by a
"newbie" then who's telling YOU that you're out of date.

Howard W6IDS
Richmond, IN