I recall an old saying. Something about not seeing the forest for the
trees. Well, time to get the chain saw out and cut some wood!

Yep, the mic gain control is sitting right there on the front of the
rig. I suspect it's probably been there all along, but obviously, I'd be
the wrong person to say. And ya know what? When I turn that little
control counterclockwise, well, the audio picked up by the microphone is
no longer an issue! Durn clever of these Icom folks to put that right there!

Guess I've been controlling the gain via the software for so long that I
never even considered the obvious solution! Now I can turn my attention
to much more important matters - like figuring out if the little light
in the fridge really DOES go out when I close the door!

Many thanks and 73 Larry!
Dave KB3MOW

W2ZEY wrote:

> Dave,
>
> This is what Tigertronics says about the early 746 model:
>
> “Some customers have reported that the IC-746 (early model only) does
> NOT mute the Mic when keyed from the Accy Port. If this is the case
> with your radio, then you will need to turn the radio's Mic Gain down
> and/or unplug the microphone…”
>
> The Mic gain on your radio is on front – not buried in a menu. Does
> turning the gain all the way down take care of the problem? That’s a
> lot more convenient than unplugging the microphone and cheaper than
> building a switch box… unless you want to build a project for fun,
> that is.
>
> 73 / Larry / W2ZEY

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional