Not sure if Vilnis or Andy are directing this at my early comment, but I will
explain and repeat it.  The situation to which I
referred was for the Icom IC-746 only, and for the early models of the series.
Further, it applied to the situation where the
soundcard interface is connected via the 8 pin accessory port on the back panel
[and NOT the microphone jack on front].

Now this is what Tigertronics states on its website about the early IC-746
models:

"Some customers have reported that the IC-746 (early model only) does NOT mute
the Mic when keyed from the Accy Port.  If this is
the case with your radio, then you will need to turn the radio's Mic Gain down
and/or unplug the microphone."

On the IC-746, the Mic Gain adjustment in on the front panel and according to
these instructions, one just turns in all the way
down.  This will not, according to Tigertronics, affect the operation via the
accessory port.  Now, on the 756 Pro 3 when the mode
is selected as USB-D, instead of just USB [or LSB-D instead of LSB], then the
soundcard control is directed via the ACC 1 port and
the mic is muted.  I am not sure if a similar option exists on the later
versions of the IC-746 - I have never owned that radio.  I
am sure the 746 group would have the answer.

73 / Larry / W2ZEY

  _____