> Dave KB3MOW wrote:
> When I'm going to run digital modes, I'd
> simply select the "no mic" position so that room
> audio doesn't get transmitted.
> I don't see that as being sloppy at all.

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I offended you by calling manual
mic muting "sloppy station control".
No personal offense intended :)

But the term is rather descriptive,
don't you agree?

It harkens me back to the old days of AM
or split transmitter/receiver manual
switching, when ops often used a sequence
of manual antenna change-over knife
switch, receiver's mute switch, and
transmitter keying to start and stop
each transmission. Been there, done
that (Novice) it was sloppy :)

While there are a few hams who are
computer-modes-only ops... most of us
like to occasionally use whatever mode
of operation happens to be interesting
or needed at any particular time. What if
one forgets to manually mute the microphone
when going to PSK31? What if you have a
visiting operator using your setup?
Everyone listening on 14070 is going
to get a good laugh when you are chatting
on the phone with your paramour or listening
to the local 2 meter repeater on your VHF
rig in the background while sending your
"brag file"?

These days, with all the ham accessories
available, automatic muting easy to do...
either with store-bought rig control gizmos
like Rigblaster, or homebrew relay/transistor
 switching interfaces.

There is also an advantage in some ham radio
operating modes and methods to having
real automatic rapid switching between the
computer and station microphone.

For example:

1. for video operation on HF, the
computer's signals are often interspersed
with transmissions of voice SSB on the
transceiver's micrphone

2. for digital voice operation using
a computer as the digital voice source,
the computer signals are often
interspersed with SSB voice transmissions
via the transceiver's microphone.

3. for ALE operation with SSB, it is
very important to keep the microphone
interactive and at the ready, so that
voice SSB responses may be used rapidly
when called or when monitoring. ALE calls
can also be interspersed with SSB voice.

Those are just a few common examples.

Even if one never intends to use any of
the 3 examples of rapid interactive
operating modes I mentioned...

The risk of a forgetful hasty response
to a digital mode call leading to an
unintended hot shack microphone over
the air at full power, should be enough
to scare most ops away from manual microphone muting.

So... that's why I call it Sloppy Station Control.

73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA