OK , It was simply a concept based on current  systems , the original
panoramic digipan system capturing all, now expanded to  cover rtty
and the  Olivia recovery in drm780  , my experience with hf packet
back in the 80's when you could digi all over the place on 10 Mtr's ,
the wspr auto beacon software decoding down in to the  noise and the
latest `cw' skimming software that is capturing the call signe ,
operating frequency  and posting it to a web server...

As with the above I should think the calibration of a standard ham
ssb  set would be good enough to  ensure net , as for the
communication protocols .. well who knows …a sort of lynux  (compared
to  windows)  communication system that sits in a small space and
uses the advances in computing power and narrow modulation  'modern
frequency usage' and allows everyone to  join in, with the same dial
setting

I think the intelegent use of a band of frequencys would reprensent
progress in 'ham' data transmission ?

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Amador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [...]
> transfers, but this is the basic protocol as I understand. I also
keep
> the FBB protocol docs on a backup CD. The FBB and JNOS sources
could be
> a good guide for someone interested in the tiny details. FBB does
it
> better, with Z-modem style transfers that resume the file transfer
where
> the link is cut. That also reduces the spectral footprint.
>
> > If you views the system on a waterfall display, you would see,
what
> > looked like random vary length , short psk31 (type) signals
> > appearing simulations'ly  with in the system band with on say
fixed
> > channels  with the odd collision and  extended gaps …. Depending
on
> > usage why not start to double up on the cannel usage to  give a
fec
> > function under good conditions
>
> A waterfall would be a good thing. It was particularly hard to net
in,
> even with a well calibrated radio without being able to really
watch the
> spectrum using a TNC with no tuning indicator.
>
> Summarizing, I believe this is too complex and creates more
problems
> than solutions. That is my personal perception.
>
> What I feel is needed is something based on the established
technology
> (AX.25, BBS Spec) with a new modem more suitable for HF than the
old
> Bell 103 modem.
>
> I see divided opinions, many prefer the shared frequency concept.
>
> This is not without problems. Bad or uncoordinated parameters,
hidden
> stations, collisions, all reduce the transfer efficiency. I still
> remember that 14095 could be quite messy at times.
>
> I participated on a net where one station was the hub and
clearinghouse,
> all had to be coordinated with the net manager, and it worked
rather well.

> Something similar to frequency hopping but not exactly so were the
> procedures used by the AMTOR/Pactor mailboxes, scanning several
channels
> per band, and using one for the entire connection period.
>
> What does this has to do with FPGA based data modes? At the end, we
> still need a better HF modem than the Bell 103. One step at a time,
> would love to see a better, open source, low cost mousetrap
implemented
> for reliable transfers.
>
> I feel important to note and take adventage of what strategies are
> proven to work, and not reinvent the wheel. Exact bit to bit
> compatibility to say, pactor, is not as important as a good robust
> modem, negotiable signaling speed and coding adapted to HF
propagation,
> among other aspects. Adaptive equalization might be used
advantageously