As I understood in a quick reading, this is aiming at keeping the modem
and adding intelligent redundancy,  specially for beacons and telemetry.
The older equipment just receives some more "harmless digital rubbish",
and could even receive the same packets with no improvements.

Interesting, anyway, because they also report improvements. It has a
merit, it keeps compatibility with the deployed equipment base. Also,
that they make the improvements in a borderline sublayer, placed on the
lower region of layer 2. The effect could be similar to doing it on top
of layer 1...

But my appreciation is that this still falls short for HF. My idea was
not to mess with the protocol, but aim at what I perceive is even
weaker, the HF modem. Would a hybrid, FX.25 / more suitable modem combo
be worthwhile to investigate?

Jose, CO2JA