Hi Patrick,

While you might get a lot of different opinions on what is needed for
public service/emergency communications, absolute accuracy is what many
of us consider to be mandatory. And because you are often going to be
operating under less than ideal conditions and locations, having a
robust system may make the difference between some throughput and zero
throughput.

The Winlink 2000 system considers Pactor to be too slow and many of
their server stations will only accept Pactor 2 and some only P3
connections. From what I have read, almost all traffic is now P3 anyway,
however, during emergencies many will allow Pactor stations to connect.

Of course most public service/emergency communications does not use
e-mail, so having modes that allow direct connections between stations
is important as well as the expected phone links.

There is no current sound card HF protocol that can approach Pactor 2's
faster speeds, but the new Winlink 2000 design sounds as if it will be
competitive (not sure about bandwidth vs speed though). Apparently, the
plan is to move toward QPSK and 16QAM and have it scale between very
robust slower modes to less robust but much faster modes which we very
much need. Also, memory ARQ is planned.

While it would be nice to have very fast data, even moderate data speeds
(100 to 500 wpm?) would be nice to have for a SC messaging system. SCAMP
(with compression on plain text) could do close to 1000 wpm with about
a+8 to 10 dB S/N. After all even P3 drops to a net throughput of less
than 77 wpm for Speed Level 1 when operating under the most robust two
tone mode.

Some emergency groups may want , or even have a request from those they
work with, to have the ability to not only send text messages, but also
send attached files which could be anything. Here in the U.S. you can
not legally send faxes and images with modes wider than 500 Hz in the
RTTY/data portions of the bands, but could send text documents that are
attached. This effectively means that you could send anything except
digital phone through P2 or similar medium width (500 Hz) modes.

SCS claims a very favorable figure of P2 and P3's ability to work deep
into the noise (something around -15 dB S/N?) but I don't know how much
ISI they can tolerate and no one who actually has this equipment has let
us know of their experiences in testing in real world environments other
than to say that they are very much superior.