It would also be very interesting to see if the improved MFSK modes in
fldigi works better than in other software, especially when affected by
lightning static. My informal tests seemed to suggest not much
difference, however, if there was any difference, it might suggest that
Multipsk was ever so slightly better.

When I have done some crude comparisons with actual off air tests
between different programs, there is usually not a lot of difference but
sometimes there may be slight variations where in some modes there will
certain characters that are correctly displayed in one program, yet
other characters are correct in the other program. Thus it is often a
wash (no significant total difference). It did seem that Multipsk had
the edge in some of my testing and when I mentioned this to an on the
air contact, the other ham was adamant that his testing overwhelmingly
showed that HRD/DM780 was the best by far. Sound card calibration
differences perhaps?