Hi Howard,

Thank you for the interesting reply. It is the first one that I've
seen that actually addresses the core issues.

Certainly, your item 1 suggestion, "have their radios on all the time"
is a necessary fundamental for push messaging to work, and it is the
prerequisite for it to function.

This begs the question: How is the notification routed to the specific
operator, notifying the operator that an email or SMS cell phone text
message is pending?

Your item 2 suggestion is good (check your email once per hour), but
respectfully, it is still the old check in and "pull a message"
technique of the early 20th century ARRL nets, rather than the quick
"push" messaging that is needed today.

Your item 3 suggestion is good (use D-Star calling) for notification
from one radio operator to another. But, the weak part of the
"monitoring a voice net" approach is that the members of a voice net
or D-Star net may not know when that specific operator has an email or
text message pending, so even if they can manually call the operator,
how would they know when to call? The obvious limitations of D-Star on
VHF/UHF and the need for repeaters is a weak point, especially given
the hurricane scenario, as Katrina taught us. D-Star would be good as
a VHF/UHF component of a larger strategy that includes HF.

have some ideas on how to do Push Messaging, the answer is yes, Push
Messaging is being developed now for HFN.

But HFN does not want to re-invent the wheel if necessary. Also, HFN
wants to understand what has been tried before (if anything) and get
any suggestions on how it can be done, or various ways to do it.

So far there hasn't been any realistic answers that address the core
"Push Message" question, other than yours, Howard.

Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA