From: Rick W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:58:12 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] You Have Mail Re: How Can We Push Emcomm Messages
to the Field?

Howard,

Appreciate your comments on RFSM. Not many have tried it. I have found
the speed to be very similar to what you have been experiencing. Even
with my experimental set up here in the shack with two computers/two
rigs, it does not often get much above 1000 bps with a perfect "path."
This is using the RFSM2400 freeware program. The RFSM8000 product seems
to be more oriented to the higher speeds, but does not meet the slower
MIL-STD-188- 110A 75 bps very robust mode. Which is a shame, since the
most robust modes are necessary to have something that can compete with
similar modes such as Pactor.

While you can not legally use MIL-STD-188- 110A single tone modems in the
MF/HF U.S. RTTY/Data portions of the bands, there does not seem to be
any restriction in the phone/image portions. I have asked FCC for an
interpretation of this but they simply will not respond.

Yes, MARS has gone back to having CW nets. That was quite a reversal for
them since they prohibited CW for a number of years.

I did not realize that you can do keyboarding with RFSM. Maybe this is
only possible with the newer RFSM8000 product? In fact that seemed like
a significant limitation with RFSM2400. You could easily do ARQ file
transfers, and the stations would constantly be testing back and forth,
waiting for the next message but I did not see any way to get a keyboard
type window open unless I completely missed it.

The server feature is quite interesting, sounds similar to the PSKmail
server, which is an ad hoc approach without the incredibly complications
of Winlink 2000's system, however, you give up some of the convenience
features. It sounds like you have considerable expertise with setting up
such a system to e-mail access.

At this time it is still a moot point for HF since you can not use for
HF text messaging as mentioned above. Of course, it is completely legal
to use on 6 meters and up  which allows for much higher baud rates than
the quasi 2400 baud rate of the MIL-STD-188- 110A modems. I wonder if
this would have any possible use for providing localized connectivity
for VHF?