> Yes, the server is linux only at the moment. Ultimate goal is to use a
> LAMP server without a GUI in future, but fldigi needs the GUI :)

Fldigi needs an X11 display (on Linux/FreeBSD), which makes it
non-straightforward to use in "server mode".  But it's possible
with a "fake" X server such as Xvfb.  Excerpt from Xvfb(1):

  Xvfb is an X server that can run on machines with no display hardware
  and no physical input devices. It emulates a dumb framebuffer using
  virtual memory.

Here's how you'd use it with fldigi:

  ssh remote-host
  Xvfb -ac :99 &
  fldigi -display :99 &

Debian (and I expect Ubuntu as well) has a convenient shell script
wrapper for this, xvfb-run:

  xvfb-run fldigi -display :99

This ssh command runs fldigi on a remote host and also forwards fldigi's
xml-rpc port so that you can then control it with fldigi-shell (or other
client):

  ssh -L 7362:localhost:7362 remote-host xvfb-run fldigi -display :99

You could in addition forward port 7322 to tunnel the ARQ connection so
that the pskmail server can be run locally.

I'm guessing that you manage the remote pskmail server and fldigi using
VNC.  If that's only because you need to interact with fldigi, you may
find that the xml-rpc interface has all you need, and that you can use
the above method to simplify the setup somewhat.  A "headless" fldigi
can be very useful; for example you could run a fldigi/pskmail server
on a Marvell SheevaPlug or a Beagle Board.

Take a look at the xml-rpc methods (fldigi --xmlrpc-list) and let us
know if there's anything that could be added for pskmail.  The main
thing that's missing right now is functions to change RTTY and Olivia
parameters (I plan to add them RSN), but I don't think pskmail uses
these modems.

73,
Stelios, M0GLD.